One of the obligatory tasks of UNESCO Global Geoparks is to record the development planning of their areas in so-called management or master plans.
The UNESCO Global Geopark Swabian Alb has a master plan, which was drawn up in 2015 and provided the framework for action of the UNESCO Global Geopark until 2020.
The project includes the update of the master plan for the following five years and the implementation of the associated participatory process.
The recognition of the Swabian Alb Geopark as a UNESCO Global Geopark in 2015 is accompanied by new requirements of UNESCO as well as the German National Committee and the German UNESCO Commission (DUK). These are taken into account with the update - among other things, in the form of newly added fields of activity and thematic priorities.
The Master Plan now comprises the following fields of action:
- Geotope protection and management
- Protection and development of natural and cultural heritage
- Education for sustainable development and environmental education
- Sustainable regional development
- Model region for sustainable development
- International networking
- Accompanying scientific research
- Communication and public relations
- Organisation and management
The concept for the creation of the master plan includes an extensive inventory, the development of key objectives and the elaboration of project ideas and fields of action in all the above-mentioned subject areas.
|Conception | Large protected areas and cultural landscape ||
UNESCO Global Geopark Swabian Alb
2021 - 2022
Contact person/s at IfLS:
Dr. Ulrich Gehrlein, Hanna Kramer
Dr. Ulrich Gehrlein, Hanna Kramer, Christine Renner